7.20.2023

How To Treat Your Husband Like A Boyfriend

I still remember years ago when we had our wild and crazy church group over and, while we were setting up to play Apples to Apples, one of the guys asked me if my boyfriend wanted to play too. He quickly corrected himself and said “husband”, but not before everyone died laughing. Explaining himself, he said that he got mixed up because I still act like I love Nick like he’s my boyfriend. I nodded, understanding what he meant, and said that I do love him. Although it was funny, it was also sad because married couples don’t always act “in love” anymore like they did when they were dating.

Nick and I have been married 14 years this December and I still feel too young to know anything or have any marriage advice. But, no matter how unqualified I feel, I do know what’s worked for us and has kept us feeling in love all these years. Although we have have a great marriage, and although Nick’s the best, I don’t believe it just happened by magic. I think great marriages come from a million little, but good, decisions and habits.

Here are just a few small things that we try to do that I think make a big impact:

1. ALWAYS TELL EACH OTHER THE TRUTH
2. PUT EACH OTHER BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE
3. GO ON DATES
4. TAKE YEARLY VACATIONS TOGETHER (don’t invite anyone else)
5. GIVE COMPLIMENTS GENEROUSLY
6. TELL EACH OTHER THANK YOU FOR EVERY LITTLE THING
7. NEVER SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT EACH OTHER TO SOMEONE ELSE
8. GIVE YOUR SPOUSE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT
9. PUT THE CELL PHONES AWAY WHEN YOU’RE TOGETHER
10. GO TO BED TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME EVERY SINGLE NIGHT
11. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND ALWAYS LOOK YOUR BEST
12. LEARN TO “FIGHT” WELL
13. BE QUICK TO FORGIVE
14. MAKE YOUR HOME A PLACE OF PEACE
15. SHARE A HOBBY
16. PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER ALL THE TIME
17. BE THE TYPE OF SPOUSE YOU WANT YOUR SPOUSE TO BE
18. CELEBRATE SPECIAL DAYS
19. STICK UP FOR YOUR SPOUSE AND ALWAYS BE THEIR BIGGEST SUPPORTER

I’m sure there’s more, but these are just a few things that I’ve worked hard to make part of our marriage. Are you married? Share a marriage tip below!


No comments:

Post a Comment