9.25.2017

HOW TO TRULY PROTEST FOR CHANGE

This morning, I was checking my FaceBook and came across my moms post about the football players kneeling in protest during the national anthem.  I saw the news a few days ago, but didn't give it much thought.  However, after reading my mom's post and the comments that she got, I couldn't get it off my mind.  I don't think that this protest is a problem with patriotism, or government, or racism or the flag or the right to protest.  The real problem is the heart.  

My mom with patients in Ethiopia.

Want to talk about protesting for change?  Let’s talk about my mom.  She was burned and almost died.  The hospital in Bolivia didn't give her the care she needed, so she was brought to the USA and survived.  It took her years of wearing compression suits and physical therapy to get to where she is today.  You know what she didn't do?  Go back to that hospital in Bolivia and take a knee in front of it.  You know why?  That would have done absolutely nothing.  But, instead, she survived her own accident, researched and researched, learned everything she could possibly learn about burns, talked to countless doctors and experts, returned to Bolivia, began to visit other patients in the burn clinic, provided for them on her own, eventually opened a non-profit called Burn Care International, raised the money to care for those burn victims and has helped over 10,000 patients with rehabilitation for over a decade.  

THAT is protesting for change.  

So, my question is, are these players willing to do what my mom has done?  Are they willing to truly stand up for change?  Or are they only going to kneel?  

Because we live in a sinful world, there will always be things that we need to improve on.  No country or culture is perfect, but America has so much to be thankful for.  While growing up overseas, I was able to see how the majority of the world lives and I learned how truly privileged we are here.  We have resources that much of the world will never know.  And yet we don't recognize them as blessings because we are so used to them being part of our everyday life.  The fact that you have internet access and are reading this on a computer or cell phone means that you are living better than the majority of the world.  

My mom helps an Ethiopian girl try on her first
compression suit!

I agree with my mom.  What did kneeling actually do to truly change anything?  Sure, we are talking about it.  But, what else?  Has anything actually changed since they kneeled?  However, what if these men had instead began to consistently pray together, as a team, for change?  And what if these men went out into communities and physically worked for change, using their own time, energy and money?  What if they banded together and formed non-profits and raised money to help with changes?  And what if they used their network to find other people who can influence change, begin to meet with them and come up with a plan to move forward?  And what if, they continued to work together passionately for years and years?  Can you imagine the kind of change we would see then?

My mom is in Ethiopia right now, training people how to care for burn victims.  She has gone to China.  Bangladesh.  Bolivia.  She even has helped many people in the USA.  Several times a year, she is overseas, helping people.  She has given her time, energy and money to help people around the world since I was a child.  That is truly standing up for change.  So, instead of these players kneeling down and showing their disapproval, what if they stood up, spoke up and actually lead people somewhere?  My mom is just one person, working for change.  Imagine what these players, together as a team and with their platform, could do for change.  People don't follow someone who isn't going anywhere.  People follow someone who is inspired, has a plan and is moving forward.  Are these players willing to do what my mom has done?  Are they willing to sacrifice years and years of their time, energy and money for something they say they care so much about?  

My mom training her new Ethiopian seamstress how to measure, cut
and sew a compression suit.

However, I keep having to remind myself that no matter what we do, the world is never going to be perfect.  We are sinners and we need God.  We can work together to make positive changes, but there will always be problems with the world.  Who knows…maybe these men kneeling will somehow make some type of change.  But, as for me?  I’m supporting my mom, who goes to the hard places and helps the hurt people, consistently, right now, today.  She is making real changes in real people’s lives.  


This isn’t about politics, government, race or whatever else it may come across as you read this post.  This is about our hearts.  My mom’s heart is in the right place.  What do we know about these players?  I know nothing, except that they kneeled down in protest during a game.  Do they truly want real change?  I hope so!  We could use it.  But what are they willing to do about it?  Are they willing to go to the lengths that my mom has gone to?  Only time will tell.

Visit my moms website: Burn Care International


Tons of people talk about change.  It's actually a pretty popular topic.  But, how many of those people actually do anything about it?  Like, really do something about it.  My mom is changing lives, one person at a time.  She cares about burn victims.  She is passionate to see them live better lives.  She is constantly protesting for change through her actions.  What do you care about?  What are you passionate about?  And are you truly protesting for change there?

Let's hear less talk.

Let's see more action.

The world could use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment