7.07.2023

Why "I'm good" should always be our response...

One thing I loved about my Grandma Jackson was that no matter when you asked her “How are you doing?”, she’d take a moment, give a small smile and confidently say “I’m good”.

As long as I can remember, she responded that way. And I don’t think she was lying. Sure, she went through hard times, never had much money and eventually died after years of battling cancer. But, even then, she’d still say “I’m good”.

Many of us are asked how we’re doing and simply reply “good”, without even thinking, because it’s what’s expected. But I don’t think that’s what Grandma Jackson was doing when she’d pause, as if she was considering it, and still always replied the same.

However, I also don’t think Grandma Jackson was talking about “doing good” in ways we tend to think - health, wealth and happiness. I think Grandma Jackson would always reply “I’m good” because she was basing it on her confidence in Jesus and her future with Him in Heaven.

And now she’s in Heaven and it is all good, just like she kept telling us.

This year’s really been one of the worst and I rarely feel like “I’m good” when someone asks how I’m doing. But every time they ask, I try to remember Grandma Jackson and reply “I’m good” no matter how I feel or how my circumstances look.

It’s not that I’m trying to lie or that I wouldn’t open up and share my heart to those who truly dig deep. But just like Grandma Jackson, I want to always focus on what matters - Eternity. And when I look there and am reminded of my own confidence in Jesus and my own future with Him in Heaven, I know that I’m good too...just like Grandma Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment