7.29.2023

Stop Taking Photos

Years ago, I read an article about how taking photos has become an obsession. It talked about how people are seeing everything through the tiny camera, instead of taking in the big picture. Birthday parties, first steps, graduations, travel destinations, you name it. As I was reading, I realized how true it was and decided to scale back.

Soon after, we visited the Grand Canyon and I remember telling myself that I was going to enjoy it first, then ask for just one photo of us together at the end. Ironman was super happy about this plan.

The bus pulled up next to the canyon and we hopped out. I think everyone was in shock of the grandness and beauty because no one spoke. Ironman and I walked a little away from the crowd, sat down and quietly took it all in. After about 15 minutes, we got up and asked someone to take this photo.

I love this photo because it marks a memory, but I love the memory more. I’ll never forget sitting there, in the stillness, looking out over the Grand Canyon for the first time. But, as usual, the photo doesn’t do the place justice. It was so much more in person.

Don’t just hear about a place, google it and say you wish you could go there one day. Make a plan, save your money and go! And then, once you get there, put the camera away. Experience it all. How the air smells. What the view looks like all around. The taste of the food in that area. How the world around you sounds. Be still and quiet. Take it all in. Then, once you’ve really made a memory, you can take a photo.

Photos aren’t bad. I actually love taking photos and have many albums to look back through. But, even I need to be reminded not to miss out on real life moments right in front of me, especially with Ivy growing up and experiencing all her firsts right before our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment