8.29.2023

Our Possessions Posses Us

“It turns out that the old cliche is true, “ Colin continues.  “Our possessions posses us. All the things I owned kept the back of my mind activated. I used to sit around and feel weighed down by all the stuff in my life. I’d worry about everything I had, thinking ‘I’ve got this much, so now I need more—I need to level it out: I have the TV, so I need the DVD player; I have the garage, so I need a nice car to fill it; I have this, so I need that.’ It’s a never-ending cycle, a cold war with yourself.”


I loved this paragraph in the book, Everything That Remains, because it’s so true. We see a space and think we have to fill it. We upgrade one item and think of the next upgrade we "need" to complete it.



Or, in my case, we see the objects we own and we think about having to pack them up, move them and unpack them again and again over a lifetime of never settling down.


What about you? Do you feel like you're in a good, comfortable spot? Or are you always thinking about upgrading, downsizing, moving or changing things around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment