8.21.2023

Normal is Terrifying

“...when you do take that first jump, it actually becomes terrifying to do ‘normal’ things, because you realize what a risk it is to give up your entire life just to be normal.”


I read this sentence in The Minimalists book “Everything That Remains” and thought AMEN!!!


Normal scares me to death.  The years are flying by and I don’t get this time back.  I wouldn’t call myself rebellious, but usually I can’t stand doing what everyone else is doing and I end up wondering why we’re all doing it at all.


Adventure constantly calls to me.  Whispering in my ear all the things there are to see and do, the people there are to meet and all the foods and sounds of foreign places.  A million experiences are just waiting to be had.




Every time I think “I guess I’d better grow up and settle down”, I feel like I’m giving up and I can't help but sadly wonder if this is “it”.  Is this all that there is?


And then I remind myself there are no rules and I don’t have to be “normal”.  I don’t have to have a 30 year mortgage with a white picket fence and 2.5 kids.  I don’t have to do what I “should” do or what we’re told is responsible.


I can dream and do crazy things and be free.


I can be me.


What scares YOU to death? Please share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment