8.29.2016

SMALL TOWN BIG DREAMS

If it were possible, I'd be traveling the world all the time to see faraway places and document them here on my blog, but that's not always an option.  So, my friends, Katelyn and Emily, and I decided to find unique places in South Carolina and play tourists!  First stop...Lake City, South Carolina.


Although I've lived around here all these years, I never knew that Lake City had anything to offer until a few months back.  In the spring, I came here with a friend to view the Artfields and was shocked at how much this cute, little town had to offer! 


I made sure that our first stop was the downtown Bakery so that we could fuel up with some goodies and be ready to take on the day!


All over town, you can find unique artwork, sculptures and even a few pianos that have "Play Me I'm Yours" written across the front of them to invite anyone to sit down and crank out a tune.


We wandered all over and ended up finding this Bucket List wall!  I was so surprised and instantly fell in love with Lake City forever.  Goal setting is one of my favorites, so I searched all over the ground until I found one last little tiny piece of yellow chalk.


Once I got that piece of chalk, though, it was actually hard to come up with only one thing that I wanted to do before I die.  I want to do about 4,579,273 things and they are pretty much all related to traveling.  But, I figured if I could only do one, it would have to be backpack Europe!


Right across the street from the Bucket List wall was an small, outdoor market with fresh fruits and veggies.  I can imagine how convenient it would be to live around here and just stop by each day and pick up what you need for dinner!


And this was the coolest thing in town.  I'm not sure what happened to the inside of the building, but all that was left of this old movie theatre was the front wall and sign, which still worked!  The inside has been totally gutted and turned into a little park with plenty of picnic tables for a decent sized party.  I love that instead of tearing it all down, Lake City found a way to do something unique and keep the flow of old buildings on the street.


As soon as I spotted this wall, I heard Dr. Who music running through my head.  It's so weird how your eyes can play tricks on you...the painted wall almost looked like it was moving!


In the few hours that we were there, several trains came speeding through town.  It sort of freaked me out that you could just stand right there on the tracks in the center of town.


Lake City has done such a good job at creating a homey, welcoming downtown environment.  The buildings are in good shape and offer shade from the sun and cover from the rain, there are plenty of benches to sit and rest and lots of plants that are well cared for!


My favorite was this adorable alley!  It probably used to look like a great place to walk through if you want to get mugged, but now its got a little bench and trees wrapped with Christmas lights!


After a full morning enjoying ourselves, we jumped in the car to head back home and ended up passing by the Caboose Cafe!  I had never seen this place and was so surprised to just find it by mistake...and so glad we did.  


We stopped in, sat down at one of these sweet littles tables and got some ice cream and drinks to cool down.  The entire time we were inside, it felt like we had been taken back to another century.


As soon as I got home, I told Nick all about the places we saw in Lake City and that we need to go back for a date!  It was only a 30 minute drive from home and is well worth a second trip!  I'm so glad that my friends and I took the time to visit and I'm excited about the other places that we are going to see in South Carolina.  Most people who I talk to in smaller towns say "there's nothing to do here" and we want to prove that no matter where you live, you can find something fun to do close by!

Do you know of any city or place in South Carolina that we should visit?  Please let us know in the comments below and maybe we will put that on our list!



No comments:

Post a Comment