10.16.2023

The Death of a Collection

Have you ever had a collection?


My sister, Mary Ashley was always collecting something.  Gel pens.  Nail polish.  Makeup.  Barbies.  You name it.


At one point, all her makeup and nail polish was kept in this huge caboodle.  One night, I borrowed it (without asking 😳) to get ready for a youth group Christmas dinner.  When I got to the hotel, I didn’t want to lug the stuff around during the party, so I left it all in the car.


Bad move.


In Cochabamba, Bolivia, locks on doors are basically just there for decoration.  If you have anything in your car, it will be gone as soon as you walk away and take your eyes off it.


I knew that and for some reason, still thought I could hide the caboodle well enough.


Not so much.


By the time we got back in the car, the makeup and nail polish Mary Ashley collected for years was gone.  She was devastated.


It’s a funny family story now, but that took a few years, haha.  I felt terrible then and I still hate to think about it!  That was so thoughtless of me.


What’s something you did that you felt terrible about, but years later it’s turned into a funny family story that’s often shared around the dinner table?


(PS Yahyee-I’m still really sorry😭)

No comments:

Post a Comment