10.22.2023

Balance Is A LIE

As a mom, I often feel like I’m doing everything.

And nothing.

My days are consumed with putting together meals and snacks, loading and unloading the dishwasher, washing, folding and putting away laundry, running errands, vacuuming and mopping, meal planning and grocery shopping, scrubbing toilets and showers and on and on.

At the same time, my days are also consumed with trying to spend time with friends, volunteering with our church and participating in studies, working out, and spending lots of time with Ivy, reading books to her, allowing her to help me around the house, talking to her and playing with her and spending roughly 3 hours awake with her nightly because she's not a good sleeper.

It feels busy, all day, everyday.

But, I often look around, at the end of the day, and wonder what I did with all those hours.
I feel that I'm doing everything I can, and at the same time, I feel like I should be better.

Better about staying in touch with friends, better about eating healthier meals, better about deep cleaning, better about working on our small business, better about working out and losing the last bit of baby weight, better about reading my Bible, better about doing educational play with Ivy, and better about getting out to do stuff with other people.

I feel that I should do better, but to be honest, I'm mostly consumed with being a mom, wondering if this is good enough to be considered "my best".

I want there to be a balance, but I can only do so many things well at once and this is it. So, for this season, my minimalist house might be untidy and somewhat dirty, my vegan meals might be a ton of rice and beans, my reading list might be mostly kids books, my friendships might be lots playdates and my date nights might be take out and a movie we’ve seen a million times.

This is my new normal and this is a 24/7 job.

There’s no way to balance it all, so I’m focusing on what’s most important right now - Ivy - and I’ll figure the rest out along the way💕

No comments:

Post a Comment