10.18.2023

Do you feel different when you spend time outside?

I remember when my sister and I watched “My Octopus Teacher” on Netflix.


If you haven’t watched it, Craig was a burned out film-maker who began free-diving daily. He comes across an octopus and decides to return to her everyday.


Though the documentary was surprisingly touching, what struck me the most was Craig’s commitment and determination even through discomfort. The water was cold, there was danger around him, he was usually alone, sometimes he even went diving at night.


He never missed a day.


I can’t think of anything that I’m willing to commit to every single day, especially if it’s uncomfortable. And it caused me to realize that my attitude keeps me from the real world around me.


Most of my days are spent indoors. I’ve got heating and air. The TV is often playing or, if not, music on my iPhone. Everything is cushy and clean and safe.


But what if I committed to doing outside activities daily? No matter the temperature. The noises of nature. Dirt, bugs, sun, rain, wind. 

Craig talked about how the cold water was hard at first, but then he began to crave it. His time in the ocean calmed and centered him and even went as far as to improve his human relationships. I believe that it was because he became more focused on what’s real.


If I’m not careful, I stay inside all the time. It’s too hot outside. It’s too cold outside. It’s raining. I hate the bugs. It’s boring. I don’t have a plug and my phone is dying. Etc. But, what if I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and committed to daily outside activities?


And the ironic thing is…Ivy is much happier when we are outside🥰

No comments:

Post a Comment