10.26.2017

9 THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU'RE OVERWHELMED

Life has seasons that come and go.  Some are happy and restful.  Others can be stressful and busy.  Right now, Ironman and I are in the stressful, busy season and it leaves me feeling overwhelmed almost all the time.  We are trying to wrap up our home renovations, after 2.5 years of living in this Fixer Upper.  The list of to-do's is now pretty short, but we feel burned out and just ready to be done. Although I'm not the one doing most of the construction, it's still draining to have it constantly going on around me.  Sub-contractors coming and going almost daily.  Ironman working nights and weekends.  Me, trying to keep the house tidy and clean.  It's been a vicious cycle and we're tired.  But just because we're tired, doesn't mean we can kick back.  So, we keep pushing forward, checking things off the final list and looking forward to the day when the renovations are done.  This lifestyle has left me overwhelmed, especially in the last 6 months.  In case you are also struggling with feeling overwhelmed, here are the 9 things that truly help me feel more calm and grounded.


1.  GET OUTSIDE.  Simply stepping outside into the sunshine and fresh air makes such a difference.  I'll often sit on my front porch swing to read or table to work and I find I'm much more productive.  Going on a walk is another of my favorite things.  I don't listen to music and usually don't bring my phone.  It's just me, listening to my breath and my steps.  Something about the exercise gives me a fresh start and I come back home with a better attitude and more energy.  Plus, walking is always a great way to catch up with a friend, while you're both getting in a work out.  How often do you get outdoors?

2.  DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY.  I love a slow morning when I can take a bath.  I pour in some epsom salt with essential oils while the tub in filling, dry brush my entire body until I feel tingly and then step in for about 30 minutes.  My water bottle and kindle always come with me and I'll lay in there, drink 32 oz and read a few chapters in my latest book.  It's an amazing way to start the day.  Walking is something I enjoy.  Organizing.  Blogging.  Reading.  Watching a good movie on Netflix.  Going out for coffee with a friend.  There's always something that I can choose to do for fun.  What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

3.  PRIORITIZE.  Learning to say no has been a huge thing in my life.  Ironman would always tell me that I needed to learn to say no.  It took years.  I don't know why it was so hard, but for the most part, I'm good at saying no now.  Since I like for people to like me and be happy and I like to do things right, I end up piling on the responsibilities (whether they are real or made up in my own mind).  I'll often find myself agonizing over something that I need to do, but when I really think about it, I wonder "Why do I even need to do this and why am I worried about it?".  Many times, it's all made up in my head and it's not something that I need to spend time on or worry about.  Do you have things on your list you could erase?


4.  LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE.  Creating a list of priorities really ties into the big picture.  I can made a million tasks for myself that I believe I'm "supposed" to be doing.  I can make sure that everyone likes me and is happy.  It doesn't take long to make myself busy doing all the "right" things.  But, who made the rules?  No one.  I'm making up rules for myself, killing myself to try to do everything perfect and then, come to find out, many of these things don't even matter in the long run.  Sure, I can't sit around doing nothing my entire life.  But, it's important that I choose to spend my time on things that truly matter in my own big picture.  Are you spending your time and energy on things that truly matter?

5.  ASK FOR HELP.  There's nothing wrong with asking for help.  Chances are you have a friend, parent, spouse or sibling or who be there for you in a second.  It's easy to feel isolated and alone when you feel overwhelmed.  I tend to have a million things on my mind that I think that I "should" be doing, but then clam up and get nothing done.  Once you make your priorities list and see what you actually truly need to do, reach out and ask someone to help you.  I bet they would love that!  It can even be a housekeeper or nanny, depending on what you need help with and who's available.  When's the last time you asked for help?

6.  GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK.  No one is perfect, so neither will you be.  You're not going to make everyone happy.  Not everyone will like you.  You aren't going to do everything perfect.  Sometimes you'll forget something or show up late or somehow fail.  That's ok!  You're human.  Stop putting so much on your plate.  Choose the important things and do your best.  I'd much rather do my best in a few things than spread myself thin in a lot of things.  Plus, I'm a much nicer person to be around when I don't feel like a chicken running around with her head cut off.  Are you being too hard on yourself?


7.  UNPLUG.  Turn off Netflix.  Step away from the laptop.  Put away your phone.  Feel the tension immediately drop from your shoulders.  I don't know what it is about technology, but it really contributes to my anxiety.  I feel pulled in like a magnet and out of control.  I honestly think this is why I love to get outside so much and go camping with Ironman.  There is nothing but nature and dirt and a campfire and us and it's wonderful.  I feel like I can breathe easier, dream bigger and find myself smiling much more.  Crazy as it sounds, I even feel more in love with Ironman.  Maybe it's not that I'm more in love, but it's so quiet around us that I'm reminded of how much I love him and how grateful I am for him.  Do you take time to unplug?

8.  GET INSPIRED.  So now that I just talked about unplugging, I'm doing a 180.  Sometimes it helps me to forget about how overwhelmed I am by being inspired by others.  Watch a good documentary.  Browse quotes on Pinterest.  Google a topic you're interested in.  Read an educational or business book.  Listen to a podcast.  Talk to someone you look up to and ask them "How do you do it?".  Even with my blog, I find that when I am in a slump it helps me to find ways to get inspired so that I can get out another new post.  What or who inspires you?

9.  PRACTICE MINIMALISM.  When every where you turn is a mess, you're going to be overwhelmed.  Make simpler meals so that dinnertime isn't so daunting.  Adopt a Capsule Wardrobe so you aren't always saying "I have nothing to wear" as you stare at your jam-packed closet.  Donate unused toys so that the kids play areas aren't out of control.  Get rid of the clutter in your home so that cleaning takes less time.  Your environment has a huge impact on your daily life.  Is your home causing you to be stressed out all of the time?

Are you overwhelmed in life right now?  I know I am, but I also know that taking myself through these 9 steps really does make a difference for me.  Maybe they can help you too!  If you have other methods to deal with feeling overwhelmed, I'd love to hear in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment