10.09.2017

HOW I FAILED MY FIRST TRIATHLON

A couple months back, I competed in my first triathlon.  It was a total flop.  I trained for months and I got up to all the distances I needed to swim, bike and run.  But, when it came down to it, I wasn't prepared and ended up riding back to the finish line in an ambulance!  Here are the areas where I believe I went wrong:

Me, when I still had no idea what I had gotten
myself into...

Bike.  Contrary to all the friendly suggestions I received, I was too cheap to buy the right type bicycle and ended up doing the race with the one I had.  I always thought it was a mountain bike, but apparently it's some type of hybrid.  Whatever it is, though, it's not a road bike and wasn't the right one for this triathlon.  I had nothing to compare it to, but my friend took a ride on it and told me it's too heavy and bulky and it's no wonder I couldn't finish the race.  Add that onto the huge hills that I faced and I was done.

Water.  The night before the race, I was afraid that I would have to get up to use the bathroom all night and not sleep well.  So, I solved that by not drinking any water past 7pm.  Then, when I woke up in the morning, I was afraid to drink too much and have to use the bathroom during the race.  So, I solved that by only drinking about 16 oz.  So yea, I pretty much started out my first triathlon dehydrated.  On top of that, it was a day of record breaking heat and humidity, so I didn't stand a chance.

I was actually as happy as I look at this point!

Food.  Although I ate breakfast before the race, I didn't take any snacks to have during the race.  I didn't know that it was important during such a short race.  However, I was later told that I should have had some type of gummy snacks and water enhancer for the electrolytes and salt.

Training.  Finally, as I was training, I was doing so on flat ground.  I didn't factor in that we would be racing in Greenville, where there are hills everywhere.  The swimming was fine, but biking on hills is much different than biking on flat ground.  I never even got to the running part, so who knows how that would have gone on hills.

Me, on the first hill, and I already was dying.

So, here's how it went down.  I started the race all excited, with the goal of just crossing the finish line.  I wasn't trying to beat anyone or break any records.  Just cross the finish line.  That's it.  The race started and I jumped into the water.  Because so many people were swimming in the pool, I got stuck behind a slow swimmer.  Plus, the water was so choppy, I swallowed tons of salt water.  So, by the time I jumped out, I felt a little nauseated.  I ran over and got on my bike and took off on my already jello legs.  After the first hill, I knew this was going to suck.  My legs were on fire.  I couldn't catch my breath.  I don't know how much time passed when I started to fill sick.  I was super thirsty, but every time I took a sip of water, I would feel like I was going to throw up.  All of a sudden, I started blacking out.  I tried to stop by bike and just stand there, but I was shaking so hard I couldn't hold myself up.  I laid my bike down on the road and sat down in case I fainted.  It wasn't too long before some women caught up with me.  They gave me something salty to drink, some type of gummy snack to eat and called the police.  Within minutes, I felt significantly better.  A police officer showed up and had me sit in his car with the air conditioner blowing on me to see if I improved, but since I still couldn't stand up and get on my bike, he called the ambulance.  The ambulance showed up and checked me out.  They said that I looked like a ghost, my blood pressure was super low and that they didn't want me to continue the race.  I was so disappointed to quit, but at the same time, felt too sick to care.  So, I got my first ambulance ride back to the finish line to find Ironman there waiting on me, worried.  By the time my friend Emily finished the race, I felt mostly back to normal, but the rest of the day was a combination of feeling disappointed and exhausted.

Trying to keep a good attitude after not
finishing the race.

I definitely don't want to end on that note, so I hope to compete in another triathlon in the future.  Next time, though, I want to be prepared.  I want to have the right type gear.  I want to be hydrated and carry some type of drinks and snacks with me.  And I want to pay attention to training for the type of landscape that I'll be competing in.  It was really hard not to cross the finish line, but hopefully it means I'll do better next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment