10.04.2017

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A WISHLIST

For most of my life I've had a wishlist.  I've pretty much always got something on my mind that I wish I had.  Each Christmas or Birthday that roll around give me renewed hope.  But as they pass and I don't get what I want, I feel disappointed.  What a spoiled child, right?!  It's pretty embarrassing to admit.

24 years old!

A while back I was talking to someone about getting gifts as an adult.  What they said really got my attention.  They said that as a kid, you usually don't have much money, so celebrations are a way to get things you want or need.  However, once you are an adult, if you really want or need something, chances are you can afford to go out and buy it for yourself.

It's like all of a sudden it all made sense.  I don't need to write out a wishlist and put the burden on others to provide for my wants and needs.  Instead, I should act like an adult and take care of myself. Of course, I don't really go out and shop for myself very often.  So, when I do, here are the questions that I ask myself.

32 years old!

DO I TRULY NEED THIS ITEM?  If the answer is yes, then stop wishing.  Change that item to a goal.  Budget and save.  Go get the thing that you need once you can afford it.  For me, this was a pair of jeans!

DO I SIMPLY WANT THIS ITEM?  There is nothing wrong with buying something for myself because I simply want it.  The question is can I afford it?  For me, this is usually a facial!  I guess I could argue that I need it to keep my skin clear, but really it's a want...and a want that I'm willing to pay for.

As adults, we really should throw out the wish lists.  Provide for yourself and when friends and family give you gifts, count it as the icing on top, especially when those gifts happen to be exactly what you need or want anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment