10.16.2017

4 BURN VICTIMS AND THEIR SURVIVAL STORIES

As the holidays approach, I'm reminded once again of my mom's accident, how God saved her and how she has impacted so many lives through her non-profit, Burn Care International.  For over a decade, she has traveled all over the world and worked to improve the lives of burn victims through effective rehabilitation, helping over 10,000 victims!  This time of year marks a season of giving and I hope that you will take a moment to read these stories below and consider giving a tax-deductible donation to Burn Care International before the end of 2017.

A little patient name Emily, with her
pressure garment on.

Harold Torrez Araoz -   "The gas explosion happened when I was at work.  At first, I didn't feel any pain, but I felt so hot.  I pulled off my clothes and noticed that the burned skin had turned white.  My brother ran in to see what happened and ended up not really helping me because he went into shock.  I told him to call our parents and tell them what happened.  The Ambulance came to pick me up and took me to a hospital in Vinto, since I was working 15 kilometers outside of town.  They didn't know what to do with me there, so I was taken to another hospital.  I got there and waited and waited and no one attended me, so I finally went to a 3rd hospital, where I was finally seen.  The accident happened at 2:15 on a Wednesday afternoon and I didn't get taken care of at the hospital until 6pm that night.  (Click the link to read more of Harold's story.)

Maciel Fernandez Peredo - "I was burned three years ago, when I was 15 years old.  I was out of town with my family, celebrating Carnival.  We had a fire going and my mom took a bottle of alcohol and poured it onto the fire.  Instantly, the flames leapt towards me!  My arms were on fire and my mom ran at me to help me.  However, she ended up pouring more alcohol on me by accident and then my chest and face caught fire.  My father grabbed the alcohol bottle and threw it and then he pushed my mother away from me.  (Click the link to read more of Maciel's story.)

Alejandra Cruz Romero - Alejandra's story, told by her mother: "Six years ago, when Alejandra was three years old, she fell backwards into boiling water.  I took her immediately to Univalle Hospital and she stayed there for one week.  They didn't know how to care for her burns properly and she got worse and worse as time went on.  She developed an infection and her body kept swelling more and more.  By the time I took her out of that hospital her 2nd Degree burns had turned into 3rd Degree and her skin was coming off all over her back as if there was nothing holding it there.  (Click the link to read more of Alejandra's story.)

Javier

Javier Abel Espinoza - "Two years ago, when I was 32, I was burned in an electrical explosion.  My wife was 2 months pregnant and I took up a second job to make some extra money for us.  It was only the second night on the new job that I had the accident.  When the accident happened, I was sitting down on the floor, facing the piece of machinery.  The electrical currents were too strong and caused the explosion.  I guess from the surprise, I sucked in a breath, which caused me to also suck in the fire.  I passed out and came in and out of unconsciousness while I waited on the ambulance to take me to the hospital.  (Click the link to read more of Javier's story.)

As you can see, burns aren't just for a certain age, gender, race, etc.  Victims are men and women, young and old and all over the world.  Some are burned much worse than others, but every accident is terrible and traumatic.  Many victims are scarred for life in every way, not just physically, but emotionally and mentally too.  It's so important for them to receive good care so that they can properly heal and get back to their life.

   By supporting BCI, you will be providing material, thread, zippers and foam for the Pressure Garments and Suits, silicon for the difficult scars, essential oils and creams for itching skin, salaries for Juana and Maria (the workers) and basic supplies for the Burn Clinic.  

     Please CLICK HERE to visit BCI's website to learn more about our important ministry.

-You can DONATE ONLINE by scrolling to the bottom of the website, click the "DONATE" button.  
-Or you can MAIL A CHECK to:
Burn Care International
419 Woodland Drive
Florence, SC 29501

  All donations are tax-deductible and will change a burn victim's life!


No comments:

Post a Comment