10.03.2016

HOW I TRAINED FOR MY FIRST TRIATHLON

On Friday, I was a little nervous for my first triathlon.  As we were driving down to the beach, I was mentally preparing for Saturday morning.


Saturday morning check-in.  As I set up my bike, I was able to talk to other competitors about where to put my numbers, about the water temperature and listen to the stories they had of past races here in the same state park.


I walked out early to check the water temperature myself and to see if I needed to wear my neoprene.  Luckily, it felt like bath water.


Listening to the rules of the race and wondering what the start would feel like...so much anticipation!


Ocean swim done.  I accidentally swallowed some of the water and dry heaved mid swim.  On my way to the 1st transition.


The bike ride was the easiest out of the three.  My legs were tired, but it was a nice break between swimming and running.  Part of the biking was on a skinny trail and I got stuck behind a slow mover, so it set me back a little.


At this point, my legs were tired and I could really feel them on the verge of cramping.  I kept hoping it would hold off until I was done.  Running was the hardest part.


So glad to have finished my first triathlon and my #1 fans were standing there, waiting on me at the finish line.




Even though I didn't win 1st place overall, I won 1st place in my age group.  


During my training, I tried to swim, bike and run the distances that I was going to be doing during the race.  I didn't try to follow any type of schedule (like the ones found online).  I used weekends and some nights, here and there, to train.  Although I was training for the triathlon, I didn't actually swim, bike and run back to back until the day of the race.  Even though triathlons seem daunting, there were competitors of all ages and ability.  There was even a man in his 70s who crossed the finish line.  So, I want to encourage you to train as best you can and then just go do it.  If you want to try it, just do it.  The time that you finish doesn't matter.  But saying that you've tried it and done it, does.


In addition to my training, I tried to stick to a plant-based, whole foods diet.  I made it a point to get at least eight hours of sleep every night.  I quit drinking coffee and began drinking only herbal tea.  I also cut out alcohol.  Staying hydrated was also important to me and I would try to drink at least drink 64 ounces of water a day (most days I would drink more than 64).  I also made sure that I invested in good goggles and a neoprene warmth vest for swimming, a pair of tri-shorts that I could swim, bike and run in, a used road bike (I wore a helmet I already owned), a good pair of running shoes and quality supplements and essential oils.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.  I would love to help you complete your first triathlon.

-Nick



No comments:

Post a Comment