10.05.2016

THE LAZY GIRLS GUIDE TO GETTING IN SHAPE

If you know me, you've probably heard me talk about how much I hate to exercise.  Seriously.  I am really good at coming up with any excuse why I can't go to the gym.  Even right now, I am trying to think of a reason why I can't show up to the 9:30am Zumba class.  It's just not my favorite thing.  But, because I am married to Ironman (who is all about health and fitness) and I want to live a long and healthy life, I know that I need to suck it up and get in shape.  So, here are some things that I have found work for me...



1.  Get the right clothes.  When I wear work out clothes that fit well, feel comfortable and look good, I am much more confident.  And when I am more confident, I am much more likely to get in a good work out.  My new favorite thing to do is get my monthly Wantable box.  I filled out a quick profile and each month, Wantable sends me a box of work out goodies!  I get to try it all on, keep what I like and send back what I don't want.  Each time I get a new outfit from them, I am excited to go to the gym and wear my new work out clothes!

My favorite!

2.  Drink plenty of water.  When I don't drink enough water, I feel tired and groggy and usually get a headache.  Then, of course, I don't want to work out.  So, I ordered a cute water bottle from Blogilates.  The timer helps me to track my water intake and make sure I am staying hydrated.  Also, have you ever heard of drinking a full glass of water before each meal?  This helps with digestion and overeating...I have a friend who has lost a significant amount of weight just by doing this!

3.  Don't overthink food.  The more I think about what I should or shouldn't eat, the more I think about how hungry I am and end up making bad choices.  So, I try to stick to some simple tricks.  Eat when I feel hungry.  Simple right?  If it's lunch time, but I'm not hungry, then I don't eat.  Eat off of a 9 inch plate, instead of the large dinner plates.  This will naturally help you to eat less food.  Don't get seconds.  This is hard when you really love the meal, but I try to eat until I feel satisfied, instead of eating until I am stuffed.  Don't eat past 7pm.  This gives me a few hours before bed to digest my food so that I am able to fall asleep and sleep well.  Drink a glass of water before eating your meal (we talked about this above).  And finally, don't deprive yourself!  I find that the more rules I make for myself, the more food consumes my thoughts.  Find what works for your body and what helps you to feel your best!

4.  Sleep well.  Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night.  Ironman and I normally go to bed around 10pm and sleep until 6pm.  I find that when I am well rested, I make better choices in other areas like food and going to the gym.  If you have trouble sleeping, considering using essential oils to help you calm down and relax at night.  Our favorite is to diffuse Lavender and then apply Frankincense topically to our wrists and back of neck.  Also, remember to turn off electronics at least 1 hour before bedtime...choose a good book to help you wind down, instead!

Ironman came to Barre class with me!

5.  Work out with friends.  This helps me so much.  I am terrible about working out with no accountability.  If I plan to go to the gym alone, I end up talking myself out of it.  But, when I plan to go with a friend, I know that they are counting on me and I don't want to let them down.  Find some friends who enjoy exercise and begin to work out with them!  Or find some friends who are motivated to get in better shape and work together to keep each other accountable.

6.  Just do it.  I have gotten to the point where I had to just decide that I must get some type of exercise every week day (at least).  I don't give myself a choice.  I made it a rule.  So, each day, there is no decision to be made about "if" I will exercise...it is just "when" I will exercise.  I think of it like part of my job as a wife...take care of my home and take care of myself.  This helps me so much by taking the choice away from myself.  Haha, I probably sound crazy right now!

Biking on the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville

7.  Take a walk or go for a bike ride.  Not everyone can afford a gym membership and not everyone can do intense work outs.  That's ok!  If all you can do is go for a walk, then that's great!  Click here to read my post about why I am in love with walking.  Do you have a bike? If yes, then go for a ride! These exercises are so great because you can do them with friends and family.  I bet your kids would love a nightly family bike ride...I know that Ironman and I love them!

8.  Stay positive.  No, you're not going to be perfect.  I am definitely not.  I am lazy!  I don't work out as hard as I could.  I don't work out as often as I could.  I just don't.  But, I have come a long way.  I am trying.  So, instead of focusing on all the ways that I am not perfect, I choose to focus on how far I have come.  I used to never exercise and now I do it pretty much daily.  That's progress!  And 4 months ago I couldn't fit into some of my clothes that I am now wearing again.  That's progress!  Progress, not perfection, is the goal!



9.  Get in the sauna.  I know, I know, people hear me say this all the time.  But the sauna is so good for you and your health...yes, it can even help you lose weight.  Click here to read my post about it.  Again, this is a great one because you can go with a girlfriend and catch up!

10.  Follow inspiring people on social media.  When we were watching Gilmore Girls, we began to crave coffee and drink it all the time.  Then, when Ironman and I got into White Collar, we ended up falling in love with red wine.  What we watch and listen to has such a huge effect on our every day lives.  So, make sure you are letting in things that are encouraging and motivating!  Find people on Instagram that you enjoy following, search for an inspiring fitness blogger, pin motivational quotes, google work outs and use YouTube to your benefit.  There are so many positive resources out there!

11.  Do the 30 Day Bodyweight Challenge.  I can't say how much I love this challenge.  It is FREE and the daily workouts are only 15 minutes.  Can't get much better than that!  Betty Rocker is super motivating and encouraging and always offers modifications in case you can't do what she does.  I am only on day 21 and I can tell I am getting in better shape, quicker than ever!



12.  Make everything a work out.  Look for ways to get some exercise.  Park farther away from the store so that you have farther to walk.  Take the stairs, instead of the elevator.  Ride your bike around the neighborhood, instead of driving your golf-cart.  If you live in a city where it's possible, walk to the store instead of drive your car.  Play games at the beach, instead of just sleeping in the chair.  When you are traveling, walk instead of use the public transportation.  Choose vacations that are active.  Clean your house instead of hire a maid.  Work in your yard instead of hire a landscaper.  There are so many things that we do on a daily basis that can work up a little sweat and keep us in shape!  It doesn't have to be a big planned out event or an expensive gym membership...it can be little good choices, all day, everyday, that help us lazy girls get in and stay in shape!

Are you a lazy girl?  Do you have any more tips to help me stay on track?  I'd love to hear them in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment