1.10.2015

Sunday Funday :)


     Remember when we were on the plane and met those American missionaries and they invited us to their church?!?!?!...and then we found out that our other friend goes to that church?!?!!?!  Well, Saturday night we mapped out where the church would be and planned how we would walk there...Sunday morning the walk took around 30 minutes and we figured out that we had chosen the long way, but I didn't mind because it meant that we got to pass one of my old homes!  We had so many visitors stay with us in this house...Jeff Norris...Tami Johnson...the Temples...Ralph from Germany and more!!!  Plus, this is the house where we met Juana and Sandra :)  



     Anyway...we got to church and our friend Henry Cheah was right there at the front door welcoming everyone and Dale and Debbie (from the plane) were inside gearing up for worship!!!!!  The church is underneath a building, because it used to be an old garage.  I was so impressed with how nice and clean it was, however, then I started comparing it to American churches.  Tile floors, plastic chairs, no AC, one bathroom outside...not "comfortable", but the church was so warm and welcoming and everyone was so happy to be there.  Since I grew up down here and am used to this country, I don't notice as much...so it's neat to be down here with Nick because I see things through his eyes!!! 



     Before the service began, we went around the church greeting people and giving them a New Year's Blessing.  One woman came up to me and said that she knew me and my parents...turns out I went to high school with her daughter Jessika Asbun!!!!!!  Like I say EVERYDAY...Small World!!!!!  When it was time to introduce visitors, I introduced Nick and me and then Mrs. Asbun yelled out that I have very good Spanish.  I panicked because I don't want to disappoint anyone with my lack of Spanish skills (10 years living in America hasn't helped me in this area), so I quickly shook my head "NO"!  Mrs. Asbun ran over and sat next to me and whispered in my ear that if Rolando (my old Spanish teacher) heard me just now, he would be very mad!!!  haha...high school...


     Henry Cheah took us out to lunch at some new local buffet.  I've never heard of a buffet here in Bolivia so I was curious to see it.  It turned out to be a little different than an all you can eat buffet that I am used to.  You can fill your plate with whatever you want, but then they weigh it and you pay by the weight!!!  I bet people wouldn't eat as much at buffets if they had to pay by the weight!!!  haha...



     After such a big lunch, we HAD to take our Siesta :)  So many people are taking us out and treating us to meals...it's amazing!!!  For dinner, the Cooks picked us up and were planning on taking us to Tunari, but since it was closed, we went to La Estancia.  Only the best steakhouse IN THE WORLD!!!  Do you feel our pain?!?!?!  I got an ENORMOUS steak...



and Nick got an HUGE Surubi (fish)...



The Cooks are special to me because I spent so much time with them!  Bethany and I were two peas in a pod in high school, so I was over at her house all of the time!!!  Also, Mr. Cook (Bethany's dad) was our Math teacher for years!!!  I am having such a good time here getting to see old friends!!!!!!!



 There's no place like Home Sweet Home!!!  Now we are up and packed and getting ready to head to Chepare (the jungle)...see you in a few days if we don't have Internet down there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment