9.06.2017

20 THINGS TO DO, SEE AND EAT IN COCHABAMBA, BOLIVIA

 While growing up in Cochabamba, I would visit the states and get questions like "Do you have running water?", "Can you even listen to the radio?" and "Do you actually live in a hut?".  If I wasn't laughing or rolling my eyes, I was usually trying to explain that Cochabamba was a huge city with everything that we had here in the USA and I actually liked living there better.  I had more fun things to do with my friends there and much more freedom.  I could walk all over the city or take a bus or taxi to anywhere.  I just googled the population of Florence, SC and came up with a huge 38,000.  The Cochabamba Valley, however, is well on it's way to a million!  Yea, let's just say that my social life took a hit when my family moved back to the USA for me to go to college.

Cochabamba has so much to offer and I get homesick each time I think of it.  My mom is there now and I'm so jealous.  So, in case you want to make the trip to this amazing place, here are the 20 things I suggest you do, see and eat:

View of Cochabamba from El Cristo!

1.  Villa Tunari - The jungle is only a scary bus-ride away!  It's like a different world down there and you shouldn't miss out on it while you are so close.  Bonus, if you want to feel out of control, go to the monkey farm and cross your fingers that they are taking the bear out on a walk on the dog lease.

2.  Tarata, Arani and El Lago de la Angostura - I know, I know.  I said things to do, see and eat in Cochabamba, but these places are right outside of the city.  If you like old architecture, you would love Tarata and Arani.  And then on the way back into the city, you should stop by Angostura to enjoy a slow lunch and even some water activities and a zip line if you're brave enough.

3.  Palacio Portales - Patiño was once one of the 10 richest men in the world!  He built this home by shipping materials from France, but had a heart attack before ever living here.  There are beautiful gardens and a tour that you can join.  It's easy to get to, just off of one of the main streets in Cochabamba.

If you go to the jungle, pack for lots of rain!

4.  Villa Albina - Also owned by Patiño, but farther out of the city so it's a hike to get there by taking multiple buses.  There is more space, so the landscaping and gardens are even more impressive than his home in the city.

5.  Cristo de la Concordia - This huge Christ is slightly bigger than the one found in Brazil.  You can drive up to it, take the stairs (which is torture and you'll probably get mugged) or jump on the cable car.  Take a picnic and plan to spend a few hours at the top, enjoying the view of the entire city from every angle.  It's truly the best view of Cochabamba.

6.  Martin Cordero - If you love nature, you'll love this botanical garden.  Trees all over giving shade, grass everywhere giving you plenty of places to sit or lay down and plants and flowers of every kind. This is another great place to take a picnic and enjoy a few hours.  Plus, it's free!  Actually let me just say, the Bolivians are champs at finding a shady spot to eat and nap.  Don't be afraid to do it yourself. There are parks all over the city and you'll see what I mean.  Join in, have your picnic and take your siesta.

Volunteer at Burn Care International!

7.  Burn Care International - My mom was burned in 2001 and almost died.  After she pulled through, she opened up a non-profit for burn victims.  Her clinic is in one of the local hospitals and has helped over 10,000 patients!  Go check it out, meet the staff and volunteer your time.

8.  La Cancha - This market is about 5 sq miles and has everything you could ever possibly need or want.  It's crazy, crowded, kinda smelly and you have to watch your pockets.  But, it's something you can't miss if you want to really experience Cochabamba.  Just take someone who knows the area, if you can, since it is pretty easy to get turned around in there!

9.  Saturday Market - I've always thought of this as a smaller, much nicer version of La Cancha.  It's mostly a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and some random things.  It's right on one of the main roads and there are little wheel-barrow boys that you can hire to carry your stuff!  We lived just down the street and they would wheel our stuff straight to our front door.

10.  El Prado - Long park with restaurants on all sides.  You can go walk around, sit and people watch, stop by for lunch or come and enjoy the night life.  It was always my favorite place to go on weekends in high school.

Search far and wide for this ice cream truck!

11.  Lai Lai - Best Chinese food ever.

12.  Dumbo - Great french fries and ice cream.

13.  La Estancia - Biggest and tastiest steak you'll ever eat.

14.  Páprika - Good food and environment.

15.  Los Castores - Best salteñas.

It's normal to be eating in a restaurant and have a beggar
come in, asking for your food.  When it's children, it's heart-breaking!

16.  Edén - Great bakery with tons of options.

17.  Sole Mio - Good pizza, which is hard to find in town.

18.  Para Tí - Absolutely the best hot chocolate in the world.

19.  Las Islas - Food trucks galore and anticuchos (my fav).

20.  Aragatza - Ice cream truck to die for.

20.  Tunari - Oh and before I forget...if you like to hike, this is for you.  Tunari is the highest mountain peak overlooking the city.  You can drive up pretty close to the top and then hike the rest of the way.  It's super hard (I only did it once), but the view is worth it!

The view of the Andres from our bedroom window during our last visit.

I know I'm biased, but Cochabamba is one of the coolest cities in the world.  Rich history.  Great weather.  Best food.  Beautiful parks.  Surrounded by the beautiful Andes mountains on all sides.  So much to do.  And actually pretty cheap!  Plus, if you want to do the "typical American" things, you can.  There is plenty of shopping, movie theaters, you can go fishing at the nearby lakes, camp, go out for drinks, stay in a nice hotel, watch a soccer game at the stadium.  I promise, you will not get bored!


No comments:

Post a Comment