11.01.2014

Toiletries and Makeup

Ok, you got me…I'm always on some sort of kick.  I know I know I know...

I LOVE reading books, blogs, magazines, articles, browsing Pinterest/google and just about anything that gives me new, fresh ideas and views on products, subjects, lifestyle choices, etc.  I ALWAYS love a new challenge :)  I just completed my Fall/Winter Capsule Wardrobe because I love keeping things simple and having a purpose for everything I do and every decision I make.  I don't want to do anything just because someone else does it or someone else thinks that I should do it.  So, in addition to my wardrobe, I am always trying to keep my life simple.  I even enjoy keeping my toiletries and makeup simple...I am NOT a makeup girl and I am definitely NOT a hair girl…because of this, I am NOT a big products girl (so it's pretty easy to keep it all simple anyway).  Since I don't buy a lot of products, it takes me A LONG time to get through a bottle of anything (usually they expire before I finish the bottle).  So, when I do buy something, I try to be careful and do my research by using the EWG.  I look up each product to see if it has harmful chemicals.  If I can't find the product, then I look up each of the product ingredients.  Every product/ingredient is rated 1-10 and breaks down the safety issues and concerns.

     Do you look up your products and their ingredients to make sure that you are being SAFE with yourself and your family?!?!?!?!?!?!

Curious what my current products are?!?!?!?!?!?!  




Young Living Thieves Mouthwash…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients.

Eminence Stone Crop Hydrating Gel…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients…love using it as my moisturizer.

Toms of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening Toothpaste…has a Score of 1---great score and I love it.

Thayers Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera…has a Score of 4---ok score, but there are concerns…I do enjoy using it as my Toner.

Young Living Copaiba Vanilla Shampoo and Conditioner…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients…it smells like lime coconut beach in a bottle!!!

Eminence Seven Herb Mask…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients…I love using it as my face mask a few times a week.

Physicians Formula pH Matchmaker Blush…has a Score of 2---good score, but there are concerns.

Maybelline Great Lash…has a Score of 3---ok score, but bad bad bad…most mascaras have formaldehyde!!!!!!!

Eminence Organic Sun Defense…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients.

Toms Naturally Dry Antiperspirant Deodorant…has a Score of 1---first time that I've had a deodorant with safe ingredients that actually works!!!

Physicians Formula Nude Eyecolor…has a Score of 2---good score, but there are concerns.

Dove Dry Shampoo…has a Score of 6---very bad, serious concerns.  I have to use this on my hair for the no wash hair days…ugh.

Tresemme hairspray…has a Score of 6---very bad, serious concerns.  I got this sample size to try to start being a "do my hair everyday kinda girl"…blah blah blah…don't really use it much after all.

Arbonne Matifying Powder…this product isn't available on the EWG, but has good ingredients.  It helps with the oily face issues.

So, all this to say…I'm trying, but still want to improve!!! 

     Once anything is applied to the skin, it is absorbed into the bloodstream within 26 seconds.  That means that if you are rubbing in and spraying on harmful chemicals, you are putting them straight into your bloodstream in under a minute!  I feel like most everything in my toiletries and makeup is ok or "good enough" except for the dry shampoo and hairspray.  UGH…I don't want to use things that are harmful to me, but vanity kicks in.  I WANT to look pretty!  However, I have decided to crack down even farther on the toiletries and I also decided to back off of the makeup.  

What?!?!?!??!  

WHY back off of the makeup?!?!!?!?!!?!?

1.  Makeup makes me feel ugly.  I find that the more I wear makeup, the more I feel like I HAVE to wear makeup.  Makeup makes me feel like I need makeup to be pretty.  Makeup should be used to enhance, not hide.  It's like a vicious cycle.  Are you hiding behind your makeup??!?!?!?!?!?!

2.  Makeup makes me break out.  I know that not everyone has this problem, but the more I wear makeup to cover up breakouts, the more I breakout and need more makeup to cover those breakouts.  Another vicious cycle.  Do you have bad skin and make it worse with your makeup?!?!?!?!?!?!

3.  Makeup is expensive.  If you are buying the good makeup that is free of harmful chemicals, it is going to be expensive.  And wearing makeup makes you more dependent on wearing makeup…so you'll always need to buy more and more.  So, what about spending that money on good toiletries to get beautiful skin?  Are you covering your face in cheap crap makeup?!?!?!?!?

4.  Makeup can make us age.  If you are buying cheap makeup and if you are not washing your face at night, makeup can actually make you age more quickly!!!!!!!  Are you using good makeup and washing it off every night?!?!?!?!?

5.  Makeup takes time.  Seriously…I don't enjoy wearing makeup and I hate taking the time to put it on.  So, why don't I use that time for something else?!?!?!  Do you want to find another way to spend those minutes, instead of applying makeup?!??!!!?

In light of all of the above :), I am going to go without makeup and work on improving my skin.  I have embraced that I am not a make up girl and I am not a hair girl.  So, I will just focus on using good products to keep my hair and skin clean and then use my essential oils to treat the issues :)

What about you?!?!?...Are you careful with what products you use?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment