11.21.2017

HOW WE BECAME RAW VEGANS

Since Ironman and I got married in 2007, we have been eating mostly plant-based.  Not only do we believe that it's healthier for us, but it was cheaper when we were poor, young and married, while still going to college full-time!  Although we believe this lifestyle is healthier for us, we are by no means perfect and have fallen off the path many times.  But, doesn't that make you feel better?  No one's perfect.  Isn't that a relief?  So, I want to share our journey with food that got us to where we are right now.


PLANT-BASED (with cheating):  

Since 2007, we have mainly stuck to a plant-based diet except for a few circumstances.  One was Friday night pizza night...our favorite tradition together.  It's just wonderful to come home after a long week, get a pizza (not cook), watch a movie and go to bed early (with little clean up).  Am I right?  And now that we're talking cheese, that was our major weakness.  Oh yea, and every now and then, I wanted a good burger when we were out at a restaurant.  But, the hardest time to stick with plant-based was when eating with other people...especially when invited into their homes.  We never wanted to offend or hurt feelings.  So, this was us: mostly plant-based at home, but occasional slip-ups.  Got it?  Let's fast forward about a decade.

SLOW CHANGES:  

At the end of 2016, I was ready for a change.  I had been trying to get in better shape, exercising more and beginning to feel better.  I wanted to take it to the next level.  My sisters introduced me to FullyRaw Kristina on Instagram and I was intrigued.  I never knew that some people only lived on uncooked fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds.  I couldn't imagine, but made it my goal to be a raw vegan by the end of 2017.  During the first few months of this year, I continued to follow Kristina on Instagram and watched almost all her YouTube videos.  I loved what I was learning.  From January 1st through May 31st, I started making better choices with my food and noticed pretty significant changes in my body and health.


SERIOUS CHANGES:  

I decided that on June 1st, I would make a few drastic changes to keep the ball rolling.  I cut out caffeine, sugar and alcohol (wine) and my remaining toiletries with dangerous toxins (deodorant).  The first month was pretty easy and on July 1st I treated myself to something sweet.  I wasn't perfect and still "cheat" some with coffee, sweets and the occasional glass of wine, but I was improving a little each day.  Sometime during mid-July, my family watched What The Health and it really affected me more than anything else I had watched or read up until that point.  I seriously couldn't even look at cheese, let alone eat it.  Mid July I had my annual check up an the nurse commented that I had lost a significant amount of weight and my blood pressure had dropped since my last visit.  She said "whatever you're doing...keep doing it".  I was very encouraged and motivated to keep up the hard work!  At the end of July, we went on a 17-day road trip and it was hard to stick to our lifestyle 100% because we were traveling and didn't want to offend or hurt people's feelings that we were going to be seeing.  However, we were so used to feeling good that now we really noticed when we ate food (animal products) that made us feel bad.  By the end of that trip, Ironman and I both decided that we are in this vegan lifestyle 100% from now on.  Since that decision, we haven't had any animal products (knowingly, at least).

RAW VEGAN:  

One day towards the end of the summer, my sister was talking about people who were 80/20 raw vegans.  Meaning they eat raw vegan foods 80% of the time and cooked vegan foods 20% of the time.  It's also sometimes referred to as "raw 'til 4" because they will eat raw all day and then dinner is cooked.  Anyways, my sister was talking about it and it dawned on me that I had basically become one of these types of vegans!  During the day, I eat raw vegan (uncooked fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds).  It's habit now and I don't even think about it.  Once Ironman gets home at night, I have a cooked meal prepared.  As soon as I realized this, I felt so proud of myself.  Yes, it had taken 9 months of slow changes, but I was on the right track towards the goal I made at the end of last year!


NEW LIFESTYLE:  

During September, we headed to Florida to enjoy the beach with Ironman's parents for a full week.  In the past, we would have felt too guilty to be picky about our food.  We would have caved and eaten the same things as everyone else and we both would have ended up feeling sick.  Although we felt bad to be "difficult", we simply let his parents know that we are being more strict with sticking to plant-based and that we weren't going to cheat.  They had some questions, but accepted it and we didn't have any trouble.  All week, we found things that we could eat!  Since neither of us felt sick to our stomachs or bloated after meals all week, it made for a much more enjoyable vacation and we were really happy that we had stuck to our goal.  Also, it confirmed to us that it can be done whether at home, out and about in town or while traveling!

Some people, like FullyRaw Kristina, simply become a fully raw vegan overnight!  That's awesome.  As for us, it's been a journey over a decade long (even longer for Ironman) of watching documentaries, reading books, doing research, trying new recipes and slowly making changes to our diet and lifestyle.  It takes sacrifice and consistency, but I'm loving the changes.  I enjoy food prep more, I'm more in tune with my body and I crave better foods.  We both truly feel so much better since deciding to stick to 100% vegan. 


Let's cover one thing while we're on this topic.  I know many people say there is a difference with "eating vegan" and "living vegan".  We like to eat a raw vegan diet.  This means we eat veggies, fruits, seeds, nuts and some beans and grains, avoiding all animal products.  Aren't sure what an "animal product" is?  One of the men on the Forks Over Knives documentary put it like this:  If it walked, hopped, swam, crawled, slithered, had eyes, a momma and a daddy - don't eat it.  Basically, if it's not a fruit, veggie, seeds, nut, bean or grain, don't eat it.  One area we haven't changed is we still use honey, which is an animal product.  However, we don't strictly live as vegans in every sense. Our car has leather seats, I own a leather purse and leather boots and we probably have many other things that are made from animal products that we may not even realize!  Although I haven't been careful in these areas in the past, it is something that is coming to matter to me more and more as I learn about animal cruelty.  

Long story short, we both feel great and highly suggest a raw vegan lifestyle! Remember, we aren't perfect and it's not about perfection.  The important thing is to spend time learning, try out new things and decide what's right for you so that you feel your best!



No comments:

Post a Comment