5.30.2013

HOMEMADE GRANOLA

Now that I just posted about how much I love coconut oil, I want to share one of my favorite recipes (which of course contains coconut oil)!!!  One of my good friends, Minnemie, taught me this recipe while sitting around the table in her cozy little kitchen.  I have changed it a little bit, but it is mostly the same recipe that she gave me.  If any of you know Ironman, you know that he eats A TON of food.  So, the only thing that keeps him full from breakfast until lunch is a huge bowl of homemade granola with rice milk and a banana...and coffee...don't forget the coffee!  I make this recipe just about every two weeks to keep his supply stocked.  


I had always thought that homemade granola would be the hardest thing to ever make, but it is actually very easy!  These are the only ingredients that I use, but you can change them to make the recipe into what your taste buds prefer.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.


First, I pour the entire canister of oats into a big container.  I add a cup of whole wheat flour, a bag of sliced almonds, a bag of chopped walnuts and a lot of cinnamon.  You can use a different flour or different nuts and you don't have to add cinnamon...it's your granola!  I mix all of the dry ingredients.  Then, I pour one cup of melted coconut oil (you can also use canola oil) over the dry ingredients.  And then one cup of honey over that.  


When all of the honey and coconut oil have been mixed in, the granola should look something like this.    It actually can wear your arms out mixing this well, so it is a good time to ask a man (aka Ironman) to do the hard work.  


Now it's time to cook your granola.  I put mine on two large cookie sheets and cook it for 30 minutes, stirring it every 10 minutes.  Try to keep the granola away from the edges because it tends to burn it.  If you want to add raisins, craisins, or something like it, pour them on top of the granola for the last 10 minutes.  If they sit on the granola the full 30 minutes, they end up bursting open and burning.


Once the granola is done cooking and cooling, you should store it in a large container in the freezer.  Then, if you have a husband that eats as much as mine, you will do this all over again in two weeks!!!

Homemade Granola:
1 canister oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 bag sliced almonds
1 bag chopped walnuts
cinnamon (I don't measure...)
1 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup honey

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix all dry ingredients
Pour in melted coconut oil and honey and mix with dry ingredients
Cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
Cool and store in freezer
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Wowowow your refrigerator is clean!! Where do you buy your coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just seeing this!!! Walmart, Trader Joes, anywhere I find it:)

      Delete