5.07.2018

4 EASY WAYS TO EXERCISE WHILE TRAVELING

I'm basically writing this post to myself.  I love traveling, but it almost always throws me out of my work-out groove.  When I’m home, I have my gym, workout buddies, classes, rail trail and neighborhood to keep up my routine.  But, once I’m on the road, I’m full of excuses.  

You can find about a million free workouts online!

Here are my most used.  
-I don’t have enough space in the room.  
-The hotel doesn’t have a good gym.  
-It’s too hot outside.  
-It’s too cold outside.  
-There are no walking trails and I don’t know the area.  
-I’m tired from being in the car all day.  
-I don’t have exercise enough outfits for every day of the trip, so I just won’t work out at all.

I can think of just about anything to get out of exercise when I’m not at home (when I am home too, if we're being honest).  But I always feel better when I work up a sweat, even for as little as 10 minutes.

Site seeing on foot is a great workout.  Many cities
even have beautiful outdoor trails to enjoy!

On Saturday we are headed out on our 7 week road trip, so I’ve been working on a plan.  My goal will be to do some type of movement daily, depending on time, space, where we are and what's available to me.  Here are my planned go-tos:

1. Walking.  Much of our road trip will be site seeing.  When possible, we will do it on foot!

2. Yoga.  Every hotel room has enough floor space (and bed space) to get in some stretching.  This is perfect at the end of a long day in the car!

3. BodyWeight Exercises.  This can be as simple as squats, pushups and crunches.  But, when I have wifi, I love the Betty Rocker 30 Day Challenge.  No equipment, it's HIIT and I’m done in 15 minutes!  I also love Tone It Up’s Daily Moves.  Each day, there 5 moves and a complimentary video workout.  Some of their moves require light weights or bands, but I often modify to some type of bodyweight option so it’s less to pack.

4. Gym.  Every now and then, we’ll get a hotel with a good gym.  It feels amazing to go in to do 30 minutes of hard cardio and get our hearts pumping!

I took my first hot yoga class while visiting a friend in Chicago!

Now, the downside of working out on the road is the stinky clothes.  I’m planning to take 2-5 complete outfits (I can’t make up my mind) and do hand washing in the sink.  It's annoying and my clothes are never as clean as when I wash and dry them at home, but it’s really the only option!  

If you’re a traveler and you exercise on the road, please send your tips my way!  Especially the stinky work out clothes issue…HELP!




No comments:

Post a Comment