2.09.2016

Created to SOAR...

     In 2012, Nick and I flew to the Faroe Islands to visit a friend, Josef, and attend his wedding.  As soon as we arrived, I was IN LOVE with the country and the people.  This was one of the most amazing and beautiful places that I have ever seen.  Everyone was so friendly and would invite us in their home, saying "You are welcome...please come in" and then serve us coffee and pastries.  We stayed in a little town, called Klaksvik, of only 5,000 people.  Our apartment was about a 45 minute walk away from our friends home, so each morning we would bundle up, walk down towards the water front, around the little town and back up the other mountain side to the Jacobsen home.  It was gorgeous and we spent a good chunk of our time sitting in their living room, reading and looking out of their (almost) floor to ceiling windows.


     All the photos I took made me feel like I was a National Geographic Photographer.  I could not believe that people get to live here and see this daily, as if its normal.  I was mesmerized by the view, especially the birds.  Thousands and thousands of them, soaring.  Because of the homes being built up the mountainside, everyone had an amazing shot of the entire town.  The wind was so strong that, while the birds were flying, they would literally stay in the same place.  It was so breathtaking, that it almost looked fake.  For hours, I would sit and watch birds soar right in front of me.  Within feet of the window.  It was beautiful.  I often remember those moments and smile.  I couldn't believe that the birds never grew tired of flying...they flew and dove and soared and started all over again.  They weren't flying because they HAD to, but because they LIVED for it.

     Fast forward to to a few months ago...we were onboard a Celebrity X cruise ship, waiting to leave Port of Miami and head towards Cozumel and Costa Maya.  The winds were strong and the birds were, once again, soaring...just like the birds in the Faroe Islands.  I watched them for a long time, mesmerized again by how they are so content to do the same thing day in and day out.  I turned to Nick and asked, "I wonder why they never get tired of flying like that?" and he said something I'll never forget...

"Because they are doing what they were created to do."

     Immediately I thought of something I had heard during a missions seminar years ago...We are created to LOVE GOD AND ENJOY HIM FOREVER.  Period.

     So, it got me thinking.  Most of the time, we get caught up in opinions, drama, our house and stuff that fills it, rules, being a "good christian girl", jobs, "making something" of ourselves and many things that are good things, but in the end, they don't really matter.  We are overwhelmed, worn out and stressed to the max, just trying to keep up with the crazy rat race.  Doesn't it bring relief to know that God created us to simply love Him and enjoy him forever?!?!?!  THAT should take a load off our shoulders!  

    So...are YOU doing what God created YOU to do?  Am I?

Let's be Friends:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment